Sunday, November 1, 2009

Applesauce

Last week, Abby and I decided to make applesauce so we picked a couple bags of apples. My mom offered to come over and give us a lesson one morning. When we were finished we were very disappointed with how much sauce we got. So, we started looking for places to get more apples but we didn't want to pay as much as we had for the first apples. We searched on Craigslist and found a place a little over an hour away with apples for only 15 cents a pound. We decided to take a road trip and check it out. Well, we met Chuck and Earl at the orchard and picked up 225 pounds of apples for only $25!!!! We were so excited! However, the next day was a lot of work with that many apples. Abby and I started cooking apples at 9am. We cooked the apples until almost 2 I believe when mom came over to help. THANK GOODNESS! We canned until 6pm when I finally turned the stove off. I am still trying to get the stove clean but we did get 75 quarts of applesauce from our hard work. Of course I had to tale pictures of this venture. I sure wish I had the camera to take pics when we went to pick up the apples.




No comments: