Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The perfect holiday weekend...

Our holiday weekend started out a little rough but turned out perfect. We were one of the "unlucky" ones to lose power from last Wednesday's storms. Unfortunately, we were leaving for Door County, WI Thursday morning. It sure made packing a little difficult with no way of doing laundry, no lights and I couldn't bake my cookies. We went over to my mom's to have dinner, get things ready to go and gave the kids baths. The estimated restoration time was not until Saturday at 11pm so I knew that I had to take care of all the food in my refrigerators and have someone watch the house. My neighbors were all getting water in their basements and running generators to keep their pumps going. Luckily I did not see any water before I left. My dad came and took all of my frozen food to his house and we packed up in the dark. I kept calling the house to see if the power was on and the answering machine finally picked up Friday evening. My neighbor said she came over and turned all my lights off because the house was really lit up. So, I think I lucked out because I did not lose any food and no water in the basement.

So, the kids and I left Thursday morning and had to pick Matt up in Milwaukee on his way home from his business trip to Texas. Traffic in Chicago was terrible and we got behind so Matt waited for us for a while. But overall we had no car problems and arrived safely! We spent the weekend at Matt's aunt and uncle's cottage. Friday morning my father-in-law and I went out fishing with Matt's uncle and caught 4 salmon. It was a blast. I didn't even mind getting up at 4 because it was sooo much fun. I spent the afternoon back at the cottage resting out in the sun and playing with the kids while Matt went out fishing for the evening. He and his mom each caught one. We had dinner and watched the fireworks around the bay(their cottage is on Green Bay). I have NEVER seen so many fireworks going off all at once. Saturday morning we got up at 3:15am to go fishing again. We wanted to get an earlier start. We caught 4 more fish. Thanks Uncle Dave for the wonderful fishing! We spent the rest of the afternoon at the cottage enjoying the sun and playing in the other boat. Riley and I tried tubing together but it worked better with her by herself. I thought she would be scared but she just kept wanting to go faster and faster. We also did some kayaking which was a first for me. Overall, we had a terrific time and cannot thank them enough for a perfect weekend. We decided shortly after leaving that we wanted to check into taking the ferry home. We were dreading the trip through Chicago. We opted to take it and everything worked out perfectly. We loved it and the kids had so much to do. It was really relaxing and we would do it again. It was nice to not be buckled in the car all day and we ate lunch, played cards and Carter even took a nap. We got home and unpacked in time for bed. It was a perfect weekend.
















2 comments:

Lynette said...

I"m not suprised that Riley only wants to go faster, Bailey is to scared to even try right now! Love the sunset pics too, looks like a fun trip and I'm glad you got your power back! Thanks for the pic of the girls too, soooo cute!

TheGeerlings said...

Great pictures! Glad to hear you had such a great holiday!