Sunday, February 7, 2010

Leftovers and Smoky Chili

Friday was a night eat all of the leftovers from the week. So no new soup that night. The kids and I went ice skating until dark. We came home, ate and watched some tv. We were planning on game night but Carter fell asleep after dinner.
Saturday we went to church to donate blood. I have never been able to actually follow through and do it. I signed up one time in college and could not go and never tried again. I decided for a family reason that I wanted to donate blood and made an appt to do it. I really was not sure how I would do. Yes, I am afraid of needles but that is not the part I cant handle. I do not like the mental part that I know what is happening. However, there was good music and cookies so I was totally fine! Riley had a soccer game and Grandma Jennifer came with us. She was playing the team that she played the first week and she was scared. There are some really big 3rd graders on that team and they are good. BUT it was a much closer loss this time :)
We decided to go ice skating again since the sun was out and the ice is good. We had a blast and even my Aunt Sandy skated with us. We were having such a good time we did not realize that over two hours went by and we were still skating. The kids and I were exhausted.
Anyway, onto the soup of the day. I made Smoky Chili to bring to my moms for dinner. It was really good and super easy. Here is the recipe and I forgot to take a picture.

Smoky Chili

1 med onion
1 or more cloves of garlic
1 pound ground beef
1 package smoked sausage
salt and pepper to taste
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
15 ounce can beans (kidney, black, pinto, etc., undrained)
15 can tomato sauce
1-3 tbsp chili powder (depending on how spicy you want your chili)
grated cheese
sour cream
green onions

Chop onion and garlic. Saute onion until translucent and add the garlic and beef. Saute until beef is cooked. Chop the smoked sausage and add to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, beans, and tomato sauce. Season with chili powder. Simmer uncovered about 1/2 hour until sauce is thickened. If desired top with cheese, sour cream and green onions. Serves 4-5

(I put the meat mixture into a crock pot and then added the rest of the ingredients and cooked on med for 3 hours. We just had crackers and did not add the cheese and sour cream.)

Today is the last day of our soup week and it will be Tortilla Soup, yum!

1 comment:

Sami said...

Yummy! I will have to write this one down! I also am interested in the Tortilla Soup. Sounds like soup week was a great success!