Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day to Forget

Today is a day I would like to forget.

Riley had a half day today and was supposed to be home around 12:15. Well, that time came and went and still no bus. In the past when they have bus evacuation drills they are about 10 minutes late but I thought today would be a weird day to do that. However, I still was not worried too much until my friend got here to pick up her girls at which Riley was still not here and was over 15 minutes late. I asked my friend if she saw an accident to which she replied...Yes! I then said...was there a bus to which she replied...Yes! Ok so then I got worried until she said "But it was going the other way!" It could not be Riley's if it was heading the other way or at least Riley would not have been on it. SO, in the end 30 minutes later Riley was still not home and I had convinced myself that she was at school waiting for a replacement bus because her bus had been in an accident on its way to pick her up. At the point of 35 minutes late, a bus pulled up and Riley got off. I asked her if her bus driver was ok and she didnt know how I knew her bus was in an accident. She started telling me the story and again I asked if her bus driver was ok and Riley said, "Yea, Mom, we are all fine!" WHAT??? She was on the bus????


My heart dropped but then I snapped back to reality to see she was fine because she was in front of me. :) Her driver had missed a stop for a child who only occasionally rides and turned around to go back to drop him off (hence why they were going the wrong way and heading away from our house). She was stopping to drop him off when they were rear ended. Riley was in the second to last seat and was only jolted a little in her seat. Her driver is like Riley's favorite person in the world and she was most worried about her bus driver and what the people were saying. I tried to explain to her that when people do something wrong and do not want a ticket they will point blame. So, she said it was scary but her driver made sure they were ok and luckily there were only 7 students on the bus today! What a blessing!

After a couple hours at home, she finally relaxed and calmed down. Since most of the kids in the neighborhood didn't ride the bus home today she had to head out and spread her story. It was actually really cute. She just keeps saying to me that she is glad everyone is ok so she is constantly thinking about it. I am also glad that everyone is ok but I would like to go to bed and wake up tomorrow and forget today ever happened.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I'm glad that everything is ok, that is quite the day to forget!