Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Creamy Bean Soup

OK, last night's tomato soup was good. However, I was wearing it by the time I put it on the table. The blender and I did not get along with the hot soup! However, it tasted just like Campbells. So, it was also suggested to me that I post the recipes for these soups. I had pondered doing that last night but then I could not find the recipes online and was, to be honest, too lazy to type them! I am sure that I spent more time looking for them then it would have taken me to just type them but whatever. SO, I will start posting the recipes and if I have some extra time I will add the recipes to last night's post as well.

Onto tonights soup: Creamy Bean Soup

I found this recipe in a Pillsbury cookbook that Matt's grandma sent me last year. It is super easy. In fact I did not read the "How to" part when I selected it and did not realize that is was just a matter of throwing the ingredients into a pan! I did have a hard time finding the coconut milk. I ended up buying a fresh coconut and draining out the milk. I checked Walmart, Meijer and Family Fare for the canned stuff (supposed to be with the asian cuisine) and no luck.


Here is the recipe:

Serves 4 (And they mean that. It really only makes four bowls.)

1 can Refried Beans
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
1 can chopped green chiles (4.5 oz)
1 package taco seasoning

MIx in a pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilanto and green onions

The recipe also suggest making taquito dippers to eat with it. Take flour shells and put strips of sharp cheddar cheese in them. Roll and seal with water. Place on cookie sheet, brush with veg. oil and bake for 5-7 minutes at 450 degrees.


On a side note, I am listening to Riley play with her new friend. She found out last week at school that she was getting a new girl in school and the best part was that she moved in right down the road. Riley was so excited over the weekend to meet her and help her at school and on the bus. So today, after two days of asking before this, her mom and I got them together. They are playing so nicely and I cannot believe how nice it is to have a friend so close that it does not involve making a playdate and setting up pick up and drop off. I love it!

3 comments:

Sara Denslaw said...

Coconut milk is usually with the baking products- at least it is here in Florida!

Nora said...

Yep, looked in the baking stuff first and then after some research checked the asian section...they just dont have it!

VandenBerg Family said...

Thanks for the recipe. This soup sounds interesing and something different that I wouldn't normally make. I think I'll give it a try. I am going to look around for coconut milk because I don't think I'm willing to buy a whole coconut...I'm not sure how I'd get it open to get the milk out.

And how nice that Riley and "the new girl" clicked. Must make the girl's mother so happy that she's already made a really nice friend!